Sunday, June 9, 2013

OTC - Over the Counter (Other Than Comforting)

I haven't taken an over the counter pain reliever or anti-acid in over 12 years.  I can't really imagine needing one anymore.  I remember over 20 years ago, it seemed I had a fully stocked medicine cabinet of all the over the counter products for whatever ails us.

That was also back in the day that I had regular prescriptions for some fairly serious issues, like ulcers and multiple sclerosis.  The ulcers have finally gone away, the MS is not so easily dismissed, but back then it was only symptom management anyway, and all these years later, there is still no cure, but there aren't all those manufactured chemicals in my bouncing around and off of each other any more. 

I have herbal remedies for various complaints now, all legal!, but I also realize it doesn't take as much to alleviate pain when I'm not on regular medication.  Just like anything else, our body will get used to what we put in it, before we just kill it.  So back in the day of prescriptions for this and that and over the counter products for the rest of this and that, that the prescriptions didn't address, my body had a lot to process.  My body is not the exception to that rule.  I hear people every day speak of actually taking prescriptions to address side effects of other prescriptions, and yet they continue to do it.

Keep in mind, every manufactured chemical is something foreign to our body.  I've included two links that shed far more light on this presumption of safety because it's readily available without prescription, but everything we put in our bodies affect them.

  Affect the Brain?                                  Killing us slowly

No comments:

Post a Comment